Session of November 19, 2015
Thursday, November 19, 2015
Minutes recorded by: Alisa Wilson, Senate Secretary
Guests: Student Body Treasurer - Matthew Staley, YAC President - Danielle Lamphear, LSM Treasurer - Alisa Wilson, SICP Representative - Julia Underwood
Call to order at 11:00 am.
Roll called at 11:02 am.
Sen. Reddy: Bill brought to the floor: "Paris Vigil Bill of 2015," allocating $150 to buy candles, cups, flowers, tea lights, and prayer cards. I wanted to have a vigil so that LeTourneau can have a time to pray for those in Paris. Steve Conn said he would look into having candles. I'll have to speak to him again to verify.
Sen. Iverson: When will this be happening?
Sen. Reddy: Hopefully Saturday night.
Sen. Jobe: Where?
Sen. Reddy: I was thinking at the mall, right by the bell tower.
Sen. Hartsfield: By buying candles, do you mean one for each person?
Sen. Reddy: One candle for every person.
Sen. Naas: Do you have an estimate for attendance?
Sen. Reddy: I'm guessing not more than 50 people will show up. That is a conservative estimate.
P.P.T. Goode: This is relatively short notice. Do you have plans for advertising?
Sen. Reddy: I am planning on asking RAs to advertise for me. I would have liked to have had more time but we're losing relevance. It needs to be as soon as possible.
P.P.T. Goode: Okay, as long as you're willing to take a hit with attendance.
V.P. Hollis: How much is each candle?
Sen. Reddy: Around $1 per candle.
Sen. Hartsfield: What's the definition of prayer card? Can we use printer paper?
Sen. Reddy: We can do that.
Sen. Butler: Should we wait for this get approval from Steve Conn for having an open flame?
Sen. Reddy: That's still pending.
P.P.T. Goode: Would you still have the event even without candles?
Sen. Reddy: Yes, we could still pray together.
P.P.T. Goode: Senator Wise, could you construct any marketing for the event?
Sen. Wise: Is this a Senate event now?
Sen. Reddy: I was hoping that this could be a Senate sponsored event.
Sen. Wise: I can make a chapel slide, but you can't make a chapel announcement. They're already booked for tomorrow. Maybe an ASC slide, but they do best with at least a week of leave time.
Sen. Iverson: If this is a Senate sponsored event, I can use the social media sites we have to put it out there.
V.P. Hollis: Meet with Senator Washington-Jones if it's approved since shes in charge of events.
Sen. Butler: To get more people to come, include in the ad that we could also pray for American soldiers and those fighting for us.
The bill passes.
Senators Lee, Finn, and Washington-Jones added to the roll.
Sen. Reddy: Bill brought to the floor: "SICP Funding Bill of 2015," allocating $300 to be used as an incentive for Student Intercultural Connections Program. The program is designed to help new international students by pairing them up with a non-international student. The money will be used as an incentive to participate.
V.P. Hollis: Is it only available to international students?
Sen. Reddy: It is meant for international freshmen.
Sen. J. Swehla: If Mosaic is already doing things like this, why not work with them?
Sen. Reddy: It does seem effective to get Mosaic on board.
Sen. Wise: SICP, is that a student organization or a part of the university? If it's a student organization, there is already a specific plan in place for funding. If it's part of the university, Senate is not too fond of funding the university itself.
Sen. Reddy: We intended it to be university, but I wasn't aware of how they are funded.
P.P.T. Goode: You say it's part of Global Students Initiative, have they already started or are we creating it right now? Are we providing funding to something that is already existing or is the program completely dependent on whether it receives this money or not?
Sen. Reddy: It already exists, but is in need of outside funding. It is sponsored by the university. The Office of International Students is looking for additional funding.
Sen. Rose: This would apply to freshmen international students and begin next semester. Would the international students and freshmen here now be grandfathered into the program?
Sen. Reddy: It could be open to any international student. If they don't want a buddy, they don't have to get one.
V.P. Hollis: Could they apply to be a organization next semester? We have a really specific way organizations ask for money. Could they become an organization and ask for money like everyone else?
Sen. Reddy: I'll look into it.
Sen. Finn: It seems like the point is to give them a friend, but would the friend might be doing it just for money?
Sen. Reddy: The money would be used for events like taking them out to dinner.
Sen. Iverson: I think there's a lot of things that still need to be looked at and thought through.
Bill moved to the Constitution Committee.
V.P. Hollis: Senator Meadows, keep in contact with Senator Reddy.
Student Body Treasurer Matthew Staley gives Senate budget presentation.
YAC president Danielle Lamphear gives YAC budget presentation.
LSM Treasurer Alisa Wilson gives LSM budget presentation.
Sen. Hartsfield: In relation to the international buddy thing, LeTourneau is looking at hiring someone to do be in charge of it. This is something LeTourneau might be doing itself.
P.P.T. Goode: I would encourage you to look into this.
Julia Underwood: There will not be future program similar to this. I am helping the Global Initiatives office get this started. We want a goal for the program. The funds will be used to celebrate and reward three pairs of students who do the most activities together. I've put a list of activities together and each will have a certain number of points. For each thing they do, they will get a certain amount of points.
V.P. Hollis: I would encourage you to look into forming a club. It will be started next semester, and we have a specific way for Senate to fund this. This is a student led type thing, you have a faculty sponsor and student leaders. That's why we sent it to Senator Meadows, so he can look into the Constitution and see what we can do.
P.P.T. Goode: Not passing the bill won't kill it. I would encourage you to start it now.
Julia Underwood: Unfortunately, we cant do that because there's already an international student club.
P.P.T. Goode: Why not just combine them then?
V.P. Hollis: If there's already another club that's very similar.
Julia Underwood: It will function more as a program, not a club.
Sen. Finn: Would it be a better idea to make it an Impact position?
P.P.T. Goode: That's kind of what Mosaic is.
Meeting adjourned at 11:36 am.