Session of March 8, 2018

From LETU Senate
Jump to: navigation, search

March 8, 2018

Minutes Recorded by: Daniel Yohe, Secretary

Visitors: Kayla Lowery, YAC President Kevin Boatman, Marcus Miller, Steve Conn



Call to Order at 11:02 AM


Senator Cochrane opens session in prayer


Roll Called


Approval of Minutes


Senator Ladner: I feel that we should give Kevin his title in the minutes.


Minutes approved at 11:07 AM


Officer Reports


Sergeant-at-Arms Jobe: I have decided that I don’t like ties, so if you aren’t wearing your Senate shirt you don’t have to wear one as long as you are wearing a dress shirt.

Senator Gorton: What about women?

Sergeant-at-Arms Jobe: Ties are always optional.

PPT Foust: We put questions on the Senate page for the treasurer position and improving Senator representation. A lot of you had concerns about the treasurer position and how to rework that. It is hard for the constitution committee to write up legislation if we don’t know what people want.


Committee Reports


Senator Bechard: We met with the swim club, they seemed like decent guys. I'm going to add onto the bill for them, and bring it up after spring break. We still need to meet with the other new clubs. I am going to be corresponding with them over spring break, and have a meeting with them right after spring break. I'll send out information to you guys if you want to come.

VP Largent: Do these clubs have their paperwork and everything?

Senator Bechard: They have yet to be officially recognized.

Senator Ladner: We are now working on the vacancy elections. We ran into a snag, and will bring this up again next session.

Senator Beckham: I wanted to let everyone know we are meeting at 8 in Stebbins. We will be discussing changes to the treasurer position. If you want your voice heard, show up. Also, I will be conducting an investigation into Kirk Ladner for violating the constitutional bylaws.


Old Business


Senator Bechard: T-shirts. I did an investigation. The $10.40 estimate was for a bulk of 32 shirts. If you still want a shirt, it will be $32 a shirt.

VP Largent: Do they know we are from LeTourneau? We should have a discount.

Senator Bechard: I didn’t know how that all works.

VP Largent: We should probably talk to them in person.

Sergeant-at-Arms Jobe: Somebody in Tyler makes and designs t-shirts. Since we are trying to get them involved, this may be a good way to do it.

Senator Bechard: I'll go back and look through that.


Senator Gorton: Motion to bring a bill to the floor.

Motion seconded


SP18-SB8 is read. “Senate Library Book Funding Bill of Spring 2018”


Sergeant-at-Arms Jobe: Have we already selected which books we used that for?

Senator Gorton: The library has a list.

VP Largent: We did this last year for them. I can ask for a list before we allocate the money.

Senator Ladner: I think we should put the list on the bill so future generations can see what the money was spent on.

Sergeant-at-Arms Jobe: I agree. Is this in any way related to the student life project this semester?

Senator Gorton: It is.

Senator Imken: Can we make these books so that when opened they announce "Student Senate"?

VP Largent: Even better, we can put a sticker in them so someone can read it in peace.

Senator Bechard: We have the funds for it.

Senator Cochrane: Is there any way for us to add books to the list?

VP Largent: They have students suggest books throughout the year. These are recreational books, since the library has funding for academic books first.

Senator Vanecko: As far as I know, the only way to add books to the list is to scan a QR code to get to the list. Is that something we can change or something they need to?

VP Largent: I can look into that for you. I don’t know the process, as I've never done it.

Senator Bechard: Should we send this back to student life so a list of books can be added? Or do we friendly amend it to add the list?

VP Largent: Friendly amend it to add list.


Senator Gorton motions to friendly amend the bill to add the list of books to be purchased

Senator Ladner seconds


Sergeant-at-Arms Jobe: Motion to bring the bill to a vote.

Senator Ladner seconds

The bill passes with the friendly amendment


Announcements


VP Largent: I hope everyone has an awesome spring break.


Open Forum


YAC President Kevin Boatman: I have a lot of stuff to talk about. First, I have a request to bring you guys on board with the YAC block party. It will be March 23rd after the IMPACT retreat. It will be in the courtyard area by the nursing building. What we want you guys to do is move the ice cream down to there. We have toppings. We thought it is a really cool way to bring you guys in. We'll have the chill YAC vibe, and are also asking Executive Cabinet to join with us. If you guys decide not to do that, please still come. There will also be a taco truck.

Sergeant-at-Arms Jobe: You said this is the 23rd?

YAC President Kevin Boatman: This is on Friday, after the IMPACT meeting.

Senator Reid: We will have a student life committee meeting on Monday. If you send a representative to that meeting to give us an estimate of time and head count we can work on that.

YAC President Kevin Boatman: For Hootenanny this year, we need specific technical equipment that we won't need in the future. The more advanced, the more it costs. We have done some fundraising with alumni, but we still need about $2000. Executive cabinet has agreed to put a bare minimum of $500-$1000. We are asking you to give us $1000. You guys can point up to stage and say "we did that". We can put Senate logos on brochures and up on stage. You guys can send a couple of people out before event to throw t-shirts and introduce the event.

Senator Bechard: I think we definitely have it in the budget to help you guys out.

Senator Ladner: Motion to send it to FAC.

Motion seconded and passed


Marcus Miller: Hootenanny will be on April 6th.


Senator Beckham: I want to propose a moment of silence for the squirrel behind Tyler. I believe his name is Steve.

Senator Gorton seconds


Senator Ladner motions to adjourn

Senator Gorton seconds

Motion to vote by show of hands

Motion seconded


Meeting Adjourned at 11:33 AM